Civil Litigation

Contact Us

If you need an attorney in New Jersey or New York, because you are being sued or want to sue someone, talk to one of our attornies about your options.

New Jersey and New York have different types of courts for different matters.

The General Equity Part of the Civil Division resolves cases involving claims for non-monetary relief such as foreclosures, disputes about how a corporation or partnership is being run, or injunctions to have the court order, someone, to stop doing something.

The Surrogate Court handles cases like uncontested estate matters, adoptions or guardianship. If you are looking for a Probate attorney we can help in these matters.

New Jersey Civil Courts

Landlord/tenant actions (“LT” docket), these cases are normally for the eviction of tenants.  We handle both evictions for landlords and defense for tenants.  Even as a landlord if you win in LT court, you still need to bring an action in Civil Court to get a money judgment.  However, if you are a tenant being evicted from an illegal basement apartment the landlord can be ordered to pay you 6 months of rent for moving.  We generally charge $700 for non-payment of rent evictions plus court filing fees of roughly $56.  The court fee varies by the number of people to serve and the distance the sheriff has to drive.  For eviction for anything other than non-payment of rent the fee varies depending on factors such as if notices to cease need to be sent or if the tenant entered into a chapter 13 bankruptcy.  Chapter 13 bankruptcy can become a major headache for landlords if not handled correctly.  Last month we had to file an eviction on someone that had declared 17 bankruptcies in the past 10 years.

Civil actions (“DC” docket), are generally for unpaid debts for less than $15,000.  People with credit card debt, medical bills, unpaid rent or damage to automobiles or property, where the amount involved is $15,000 or less. Once someone gets a tenant evicted in Landlord/tenant actions they normally have to bring a case in Special Civil to recover the money. Generally, even if you win in a civil action most judgments can be eliminated by filing a bankruptcy.  We can help in this type of case.

Small claims (“SC” docket), are civil cases involving $3,000 or less in claimed damages. Although lawyers can appear, my firm does not take these except for claims for $5,000 or less for the return all or part of a security deposit.

For New Jersey claims greater than $15,000, the complaint is filed with the Law Division of the Superior Court of New Jersey, Civil Part (“L” docket) in your county.  These cases are much more involved then special civil and we recommend not trying to handle this kind of case by yourself and get an attorney.

Schedule an Appointment or Contact Us With a Message

We look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to get in touch via the form. We will get back to you shortly.  Call us at (844) 533-3367 or to contact us directly by email please use:

Speak with our team to get experienced advice

We have over 30 years of legal experience. 

We understand that nothing is more important than the emotional, financial and spiritual health of your family, through its many transitions. We are here to help you. The mission of PCB Law offices is to provide our clients with the best legal advice possible.

Freehold, NJ - For Mail and Service

Jersey City, NJ

Hackensack, NJ

Brooklyn, NY

The Bronx, NY

Rochester, NY

Give Us A Call

(844) 533-3367

Send Us A Message

Address For Service

1 Broad St #5
Freehold, NJ 07728

law firm logo

Office located in Jersey City, NJ; Freehold, NJ; Hackensack, NJ; Brooklyn, NY; Bronx, NY; Rochester, NY along with 5 affiliate offices in India.


We have agents manning phones 24 hours a day for emergencies. 

The Law Offices of Patel, Cardenas, & Bost provide probate, real estate, litigation, cannabis, entertainment, immigration, bankruptcy, foreclosure and loan modification representation to clients throughout the State of New Jersey and New York area with offices in Jersey City, Freehold, Hackensack, The Bronx, Brooklyn, and Rochester. This website is a Legal Advertisement. The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute an attorney client relationship. We are attorneys, but we are not your attorneys until a retainer has been signed.

ATTORNEY ADVERTISING. Past results do not guarantee future outcome. We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

This site is designed to be accessible to and usable by people with and without disabilities. Please contact us if you encounter an accessibility or usability issue on this site.

This Website is for informational purposes only, is not intended as legal advice, and does not substitute for consulting with a lawyer about specific facts and circumstances. This Website does not constitute a solicitation, and your use of this Website does not create any attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Patel, Cardenas and Bost.

Copyright©2021 by Patel, Cardenas & Bost, LLC. All rights reserved.

Call Now