17:48E-30.1 Coverage for certain dependents until age 31 by health service corporation.
3. a. As used in this section, “dependent” means a subscriber’s child by blood or by law who:
(1) is 30 years of age or younger;
(2) is unmarried;
(3) has no dependent of his own;
(4) is a resident of this State or is enrolled as a full-time student at an accredited public or private institution of higher education; and
(5) (a) is not actually provided coverage as a named subscriber, insured, enrollee, or covered person under any other group or individual health benefits plan, group health plan, church plan or health benefits plan, or entitled to benefits under Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, Pub.L.74-271 (42 U.S.C. S.1395 et seq.) at the time the dependent coverage pursuant to this section begins or will begin; and
(b) there is evidence of prior, creditable coverage or receipt of benefits under a benefits plan or by law as set forth in subparagraph (a) of this paragraph.
b. (1) A health service corporation contract that provides coverage for a subscriber’s dependent under which coverage of the dependent terminates at a specific age on or before the dependent’s 30th birthday, and is delivered, issued, executed or renewed in this State pursuant to P.L.1985, C. 236 (C. 17:48E-1 et al.), or approved for issuance or renewal in this State by the Commissioner of Banking and Insurance on or after the effective date of this section of Phamplet Law 2008, Chapter 38, shall, upon application of the dependent as set forth in subsection C. of this section, provide coverage to the dependent after that specific age, until the dependent’s 31st birthday.
(2) Nothing herein shall be construed to require:
(a) coverage for services provided to a dependent before the effective date of this section of Phamplet Law 2008, Chapter 38; or
(b) that an employer or other group policyholder pay all or part of the cost of coverage for a dependent as provided pursuant to this section.
C. (1) A dependent covered by a subscriber’s contract, which coverage under the contract terminates at a specific age on or before the dependent’s 30th birthday, may make a written election for coverage as a dependent pursuant to this section, until the dependent’s 30th birthday:
(a) within 30 days prior to the termination of coverage at the specific age provided in the contract;
(b) within 30 days after meeting the requirements for dependent status as set forth in subsection a. of this section, when coverage for the dependent under the contract previously terminated; or
(c) during an open enrollment period, as provided pursuant to the contract, if the dependent meets the requirements for dependent status as set forth in subsection a. of this section during the open enrollment period.
(2) (Deleted by amendment, Phamplet Law 2008, Chapter 38)
d. (1) Coverage for a dependent who makes a written election for coverage pursuant to subsection C. of this section shall consist of coverage which is identical to the coverage provided to that dependent prior to the termination of coverage at the specific age provided in the contract. If coverage is modified under the contract for any similarly situated dependents for coverage prior to the termination of coverage at the specific age provided in the contract, the coverage shall also be modified in the same manner for the dependent.
(2) Coverage for a dependent who makes a written election for coverage pursuant to subsection C. of this section shall not be conditioned upon, or discriminate on the basis of, lack of evidence of insurability.
e. (1) The subscriber’s contract may require payment of a premium by the subscriber or dependent, as appropriate, subject to the approval of the Commissioner of Banking and Insurance, for any period of coverage relating to a dependent’s written election for coverage pursuant to subsection C. of this section. The premium shall not exceed 102% of the applicable portion of the premium previously paid for that dependent’s coverage under the contract prior to the termination of coverage at the specific age provided in the contract.
(2) The applicable portion of the premium previously paid for the dependent’s coverage under the contract shall be determined pursuant to regulations promulgated by the Commissioner of Banking and Insurance, based upon the difference between the contract’s rating tiers for adult and dependent coverage or family coverage, as appropriate, and single coverage, or based upon any other formula or dependent rating tier deemed appropriate by the commissioner which provides a substantially similar result.
(3) Payments of the premium may, at the election of the payor, be made in monthly installmentS.
f. Coverage for a dependent provided pursuant to this section shall be provided until the earlier of the following:
(1) the date upon which the dependent is disqualified for dependent status as set forth in subsection a. of this section;
(2) the date upon which coverage ceases under the contract by reason of a failure to make a timely payment of any premium required under the contract by the subscriber or dependent for coverage provided pursuant to this section. The payment of any premium shall be considered to be timely if made within 30 days after the due date or within a longer period as may be provided for by the contract; or
(3) the date upon which the contract, under which coverage is provided to a dependent, ceases to provide coverage to the subscriber.
Nothing herein shall be construed to permit a health service corporation to refuse a written election for coverage by a dependent pursuant to subsection C. of this section, based upon the dependent’s prior disqualification pursuant to paragraph (1) of this subsection, other than a disqualification based on age or lack of evidence of prior, creditable coverage or receipt of benefitS.
g. Notice regarding coverage for a dependent as provided pursuant to this section shall be provided to a subscriber by the health service corporation:
(1) in the certificate of coverage or other equivalent document prepared for subscribers and delivered on or about the date of commencement of the subscribers’ coverage; and
(2) (Deleted by amendment, Phamplet Law 2008, Chapter 38)
(3) in a notice delivered to subscribers on a quarterly basiS.
h. This section shall apply to those contracts in which the health service corporation has reserved the right to change the premium.
L.2005, C. 375, S.3; amended 2008, C. 38, S.31.
Original Text maintained by the State of New Jersey:
Disclaimer: Always check for the most up to date language of a statute. Every time a new law is enacted it has a possibility of changing the wording of a statute or override case law. These pages were created to assist in looking up and migrating between statutes easily. No accuracy is guaranteed. If you need help with researching law, contact an attorney.