Old Bridge, NJ Partition Lawyers

Book A Free Consultation

If you find yourself entangled in a real estate dispute stemming from divorce, inheritance, or the dissolution of a business partnership, The Law Offices of Patel & Cardenas is ready to provide assistance. In many cases, such property disputes require the initiation of a partition action to compel the sale of the property among all vested parties.

When a partnership dissolves or heirs clash over the distribution of a deceased parent’s estate, the assets and liabilities are typically divided fairly. However, if co-owners wish to divide a specific property, they may need to pursue a partition action. In situations where dividing the property is not feasible, the court assesses the rights and interests of all co-owners and follows legal guidelines to appropriately divide the property. Another option is to sell the property and distribute the proceeds accordingly.

The division of property often becomes the most contentious aspect of any separation, which is why it is advisable to seek guidance and support from a partition action attorney. If reaching a compromise with your partner(s) proves impossible and court intervention becomes necessary, a partition action may be required. If you are currently involved in a property dispute, we encourage you to consult our Old Bridge partition action lawyers and schedule a free consultation to discuss your legal options.

Old Bridge Partition Lawyers

Who Is Eligible To File A Partition Action?

Any individual who co-owns a property has the ability to initiate a partition action. This includes property owners who share ownership with another person or entity, such as a business or partnership. There are various scenarios in which a partition action may be filed.  Some common examples include:

1. Separated or divorcing spouses: When parties are going through a divorce or separation and one party wants to sell the family home while the other spouse does not.

2. Co-owners of real estate: When co-owners cannot decide how to divide, use, or manage the property.

3. Business partners: Individuals who jointly own a business can file a partition action to sell or divide real estate if the partnership ends either by mutual consent or due to unresolved disagreements.

4. Joint heirs of an estate: If the heirs of an estate cannot come to an agreement on what to do with the inherited property, they have the option to file a partition action.

Potential Problems Presented By Partition Actions

When people choose to initiate a partition action, they may perceive it as the sole remedy that will ultimately resolve the dispute. Nevertheless, they frequently overlook the inherent difficulties and possible drawbacks linked to such actions. Prior to moving forward, it is important to take note of some of the more common issues associated with partitions, including:

  • Property Valuation: One problem that may come up in these proceedings is figuring out how much the property is worth. The parties may have differing opinions as to the value of the property and, as such, may not be able to come to a mutually satisfactory conclusion.
  • Time Delays: The court’s scheduling of cases, disagreements between the involved parties, and intricate legal matters can sometimes cause delays in reaching a resolution.
  • Relational Stress: When a partition action is filed, it can have a lasting impact on relationships, particularly those between friends and family members.  It’s important to weigh the benefits of a partition action against the potential cost to your long-term relationships.
  • Unfavorable End: When a partition action ends in an unfavorable way, one or more of the parties may still be unhappy with the eventual outcome and may seek further legal action.
  • And more…Our Old Bridge partition action lawyers can help you think through the implications of initiating a partition action so you can make empowered decisions!

How Our Old Bridge Partition Action Lawyers Can Help!

The Law Offices of Patel & Cardenas are committed to assisting clients through partition actions in an effective and sympathetic manner. Whether you are wishing to file a partition action against a co-property owner or are defending the petition for a partition action, our Old Bridge partition lawyers are here to evaluate and defend your rights in support of your best interests.

We have extensive experience in handling various partition-related matters, accumulated over decades of service to our clients. Our team is highly skilled and capable of efficiently resolving your issues while keeping costs and time constraints in mind. If you file for a partition action or are served with a partition action, contact us today for a complimentary consultation to explore your options.

Book A Free Consultation

Old Bridge, NJ Practice Areas

Very pleased with the level of care and attention in dealing with this law firm. They were always quick to respond and patient with a very impatient first time home buyer! Robert Ranalli was my attorney and I would recommend for any legal needs.

Nashir M.

I had the pleasure of working with Veer Patel and staff for several months and could not have been more pleased with the attention, care, and professionalism of everyone at the firm. Really good experience and would definitely recommend!

Brian R.

The Law Offices of Patel & Cardenas

Why Choose Us?

Free Initial Consultations

Multilingual Attorneys

Thousands of Clients Served

Focus On Quality Client Care

Call us

(973) 542-9407