Special Immigrant Juveniles (SIJ) Status Attorneys

Contact Us

The SIJ program offers a path to US Citizenship for Foreign-born Children

Children of immigrants who have been deported, incarcerated or passed away need the assistance of an experienced Immigration Attorney who understands SIJS.  These children are left without a parent through no fault of their own. Unaccompanied minors who were not born in the US or foreign-born children who are abandoned be their parents in the US are especially vulnerable since they are exposed to the complex issues of immigration without the benefit of parental help. These children can be placed in State custody and subject to detention or deportation. Undocumented children can actually benefit from the  Special Immigrant Juveniles (SIJ) program.  Adults over 21 do not qualify for this program.

This program has been around since 1990 when Congress created the Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) status.  The program was further refined in 2008 when the Trafficking Victims Protection and Reauthorization Act streamlined SIJ procedures and modified the eligibility requirements for SIJ status making the process easier to understand.

SJIS attorney to defend childrened The purpose of the SIJ program is to help foreign children in the United States who have been abused, abandoned, or neglected by one or both of their parents. This program is under the control of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and is designed to help foreign-born children who are unable to be reunited with a parent. Theses children can eventually get a green card because of their SIJ status. Once the child has a green card they obtain Lawful Permanent Residence. (LPR)  Children who get a green card through the SIJ program are able to live in the United States, go to school in the United States and work permanently.  This program offers these children a path to US citizenship.

Children who get a Green Card under this program can petition for their brothers and sisters to get green cards but only they after they have become a US Citizen.  And, they will never be able to petition for a green card for their parents.

SIJ is a Federal Program but Requires State Court Action

For a child to be eligible, a US state juvenile court or Probate court that makes judicial determinations about the custody and care of juveniles must:

  1. Make the child dependent on the court or place the child under the legal custody of a state agency or some other individual appointed by the state
  2. Declare that the child cannot be reunited with one or both of his or her parents due to abuse, abandonment, neglect, or a similar reason under state law
  3. Declare that it is not in the best interests of the child to be returned to his or her home country (Country of current citizenship.)

In New Jersey, the NJ Family Court / Family Division is responsible for the above. These courts are organized at the County Level in NJ.  For instance in Hudson County,  the Hudson Vicinage Family Division located in the Hudson County Administration Building at 595 Newark Avenue Jersey City, New Jersey 07306 would be the place to bring the action.  In Essex County, the County Family Court is located in the Robert N. Wilentz Court Complex at 212 Washington Street, Newark NJ 07102.

In New York City, the Family Court is located at 60 Lafayette St. NY, NY 10013. Each state has its own procedures for dealing with abused and neglected children.  So, when searching for an attorney for SIJ you need to ensure that they are licensed to practice in the State where the action is brought and also that they understand the federal laws around the SIJ process.

You may apply for a Green Card based on SIJ status at the same time you petition to get the SIJ status. However, you have to make sure a visa number is immediately available at the time of filing, and USCIS has jurisdiction over your application to adjust status. If you need help with knowing what to file and when, discuss your situation with an SIJS attorney.

Eligibility Requirements for filing for SIJ Status

The requirements to successfully file for SIJ Status are fairly straight forward. On the date of the filing of the I-360, the child must be under 21 years of age. The state court must order must be in effect on the filing date of the I-360 and still be in effect when the USCIS makes its decision unless the child has aged out through no fault of his o her own. The child cannot be married on the filing date of the I-360 and still be in effect when the USCIS makes its decision.  The child must also be inside the US when the I-360 is filed with the USCIS.

Filing for SIJ Status with the USCIS

Below is the list of forms you may need:

If you need help with any forms, we recommend you contact a qualified Immigration Attorney who is familiar with the SIJ process.  If you know of someone who is about to be deported, is incarcerated or recently passed away that has children, make sure that the children are able to be protected by an experienced immigration attorney.


Schedule an Appointment or Contact Us With a Message

We look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to get in touch via the form. We will get back to you shortly.  Call us at (844) 533-3367 or to contact us directly by email please use: Contact@PSCBLaw.com

Speak with our team to get experienced advice

We have over 30 years of legal experience. 

We understand that nothing is more important than the emotional, financial and spiritual health of your family, through its many transitions. We are here to help you. The mission of PCB Law offices is to provide our clients with the best legal advice possible.

Freehold, NJ - For Mail and Service

Jersey City, NJ

Hackensack, NJ

Brooklyn, NY

The Bronx, NY

Rochester, NY

Give Us A Call

(844) 533-3367

Send Us A Message


Address For Service

1 Broad St #5
Freehold, NJ 07728

law firm logo

Office located in Jersey City, NJ; Freehold, NJ; Hackensack, NJ; Brooklyn, NY; Bronx, NY; Rochester, NY along with 5 affiliate offices in India.


We have agents manning phones 24 hours a day for emergencies. 

The Law Offices of Patel, Cardenas, & Bost provide probate, real estate, litigation, cannabis, entertainment, immigration, bankruptcy, foreclosure and loan modification representation to clients throughout the State of New Jersey and New York area with offices in Jersey City, Freehold, Hackensack, The Bronx, Brooklyn, and Rochester. This website is a Legal Advertisement. The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute an attorney client relationship. We are attorneys, but we are not your attorneys until a retainer has been signed.

ATTORNEY ADVERTISING. Past results do not guarantee future outcome. We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

This site is designed to be accessible to and usable by people with and without disabilities. Please contact us if you encounter an accessibility or usability issue on this site.

This Website is for informational purposes only, is not intended as legal advice, and does not substitute for consulting with a lawyer about specific facts and circumstances. This Website does not constitute a solicitation, and your use of this Website does not create any attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Patel, Cardenas and Bost.

Copyright©2021 by Patel, Cardenas & Bost, LLC. All rights reserved.

Call Now