US Immigration: Adjustment of Status vs Change of Status

Mar 30, 2020 | Immigration

US Immigration: Adjustment of Status vs Change of Status

Adjustment of status is the process whereby a person applies for lawful permanent resident status (also known as a Green Card) while being present in the United States. This implies that the applicant may apply for and get processed for lawful permanent resident status without having to return to the Applicant’s home country.

Who is Eligible?

A person may apply for adjustment of status under the different eligibility categories listed below:

    • Family
    • Employment
    • Refugee or Asylee Status
    • Human Trafficking and Crime Victims
    • Victims of Abuse
    • Special Immigrant
    • Through Registry
    • Through Other Categories

Change of status, on the other hand, is a process whereby a person or an applicant changes his nonimmigrant status from one category to another. A person can change status if such person is in the US in valid immigration status and if such person meets the requirement for the status, he/she is changing to eg. Changing to Nonimmigrant F-1or M-1 student status, H1-B status, B2 status

A person may apply to change status if:

    • You were lawfully admitted to the United States with a nonimmigrant visa,
    • Your nonimmigrant status remains valid,
    • You have not violated the conditions of your status, and
    • You have not committed any crimes that would make you ineligible.
The Law Offices of Patel & Cardenas

Why Choose Us?

Free Initial Consultations

Multilingual Attorneys

Thousands of Clients Served

Focus On Quality Client Care

Call us

(973) 542-9407